Whether it’s a variety of beaches, ancient lighthouses or a brilliantly painted falling leaves, Nantucket is a destination to consider this time of year. The sound of crashing surf and the smell of salty air can soothe the heart or excite the mind. Protected by Nantucket Sound, it is a pleasant place indeed. A haven for travelers and adventurers, autumn offers a variety of wonderful things to occupy one’s time.
1. Fall FishingIf you are into fishing- or even if you are not, fishing activities in the fall are truly something. Surf fishing is a great pastime on the shores of Nantucket. Bending poles line the shore as intrepid fishing diehards cast out in search of Bass, Bluefin and Albies (False Albacore). If you are more prone to enjoying the open waters around the island, charter fishing might be your thing. During September and into October, several fishing tournaments are available to those who are interested in serious fish wrangling.
2. Maritime in NantucketIf you are not interested in participating in hook, line, and sinker, several historical venues are available for maritime buffs and interested folk. With the coming of fall, the crowds of summer dissipate making Nantucket maritime even more available for all to enjoy. How can anyone forget a sperm whale skeleton at the Nantucket Whaling Museum that drops from the ceiling leaving your heart pounding!
4. Nantucket Restaurant Week (September 30 - October 6, 2019)The Fall Restaurant Week is touted as one the favorite weeks on the island, so hurry to book your reservations for the best restaurants. This is an opportunity to enjoy a three-course dinner menu for a fixed price. On a side note, don’t forget the Nantucket Culinary Center, featuring the Farm to Fork program for children, providing healthy food choices and activities.
- Best Tar-roof Cake
- Best Dahlia
- Giant Pumpkin
- Biggest Zucchini
- Ugliest Home Grown Veggie
- Dog Shows
- Farm Yard Animal Contest
Outdoor and tent events feature old fashioned games like:
- Skillet Toss
- Scarecrow Building Contest
- Pumpkin Toss
- Egg & Spoon Race
- Corn Husking Contest
- Watermelon Eating Contest
10. Stellar SightseeingAn evening out of this world is promised with a trip to the Loines Observatory. What fun for kids of all ages to take a peek at the night sky, loaded with constellations and maybe even a comet or two. Knowledgeable and enthusiastic astronomers act as guides through the galaxy of stars and distant mysterious objects in space.
Whether you like fishing, museums, dining, swimming or surf, this is a unique destination worth your time to investigate. In September, the subtle changes in the weather signal the onset of fall. With the adjustment comes an air of expectancy as activities amend to meet the season. The combination of wonderfully moderate weather and exciting happenings make fall in Nantucket an attractive destination.